If you take a quick look outside from your windows in the early hours of the day, you are most likely to see dense smog. A combination of smoke and fog, smog is supposed to be one of the deadliest particles suspended in the air. As the day passes the smog dissipates but the air remains highly polluted and harmful for breathing. The Air Quality Index of India measures in real time exactly how bad the condition is at any given moment.
What health problems can you have because of poor air quality?
India is one of the most polluted countries in the world, leading to a variety of health problems.
- Some minor but visible effects of exposure to air pollution include irritation of the eyes, nose, throat, headaches, nausea, and light-headedness.
- In the long run these could lead to severe respiratory illnesses like asthma, hypertension, lung cancer, and most commonly, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). Along with these primary diseases, other organs like liver and kidneys might be indirectly affected.
- In pregnant women, prolonged exposure to toxic fumes can lead to problems in the developing fetus. This is dangerous for both the mother and the baby, and can even cause birth defects.
- For the elderly who are already suffering from other health complications, regularly breathing in poor quality air can significantly reduce life expectancy.
Keeping an eye on the Air Quality Index of India is necessary if you plan to remain outdoors for several hours at a stretch. This way, you will be warned and can go indoors if necessary.
Is indoor air completely clean and safe?
Sadly, the answer to this is no. Some factors that contribute to bad indoor air quality include overused stoves, fumes from fireplaces or coal burning, gas heaters, nearness to construction sites, or simply the location of the house near a busy road. If the air quality outdoors is very poor, it is bound to affect the air inside your homes as well.
Here are some measures you can take to make the air you breathe in at home safer:
- Keep an indoor air quality monitor that rapidly detects bad air quality at home. The device monitors the air quality in real time and informs you immediately if the condition deteriorates significantly.
- You can open a few windows and allow better circulation of the air. Stuffy rooms can be really dangerous if the air quality is already very poor.
- You can place ventilators at home in strategic points.
- Installing chimneys is very important as it ensures that all the fumes from the kitchen are able to escape properly. These vapours should not be regularly breathed in by anyone in the house, and especially by little children.
The Laser Egg is an indoor air quality monitor by Nirvana Being
that you must have in your home. A small and sleek device, the Laser Egg detects pollutants in the air in real time and helps you to trace its sources and thus make the air cleaner and safer to breathe in. Buy this device today and ensure a long and healthy life for your loved ones.